How to appeal?

If you have made a request and not satisfied with the response from the public authority or they have failed to respond to your request you do have the right to appeal. An aggrieved person can, within 21 days of receiving notice of refusal, complain in writing to the Ombudsman.
If you are still not satisfied with the ruling of the Ombudsman, you may apply for judicial review of a public authority under this Act. Section 38A (1)